Hillcrest United Church is conveniently located between Milton and Georgetown on Trafalgar Road at 5 Side Road. It blends rural and urban, long-time resident and newcomer in a caring, friendly atmosphere.
Our members are a great mix of people from families who have recently move into nearby housing developments, in both Milton and Georgetown, to those whose roots trace back to the original Hornby & Asgrove churches that amalgamated in 1968 to form Hillcrest.
The congregations of Hornby United Church, built in 1856, and Ashgrove United Church, built in 1860, amalgamated on January 1, 1968 to form Hillcrest United Church.
When Trafalgar Road was widened in the 1960's, much of the Ashgrove Church land was expropriated. Together with Hornby Church, they decided to unite their two congregations and construct a more modern facility approximately halfway between the two communities.
Services were rotated month about until the Hornby Church was sold to the Oakville Recreation Department for use as a community Centre. The final service in Hornby was held on November 17, 1968, two weeks after the cornerstone of the new building was set in place. The final service was held in the Ashgrove church on March 2, 1969 with the first service in the new church being held the following Sunday, March 8, 1969.
Ashgrove church was sold to Mr. Fred Brooks who took it down and rebuilt it in Limehouse for two-family dwelling. The fine oak pews were sold to Erindale Presbyterian Church and are in use today, complete with the initials of the young men of yesteryear on the back pew. A successful auction of church furnishings and other donations was held on the property of the church that May. The building lot was sold to Mr. Gordon Barnes for a service station.
The official opening of Hillcrest United Church was held on April 27, 1969. The service was conducted by the Rev. Keith Hawkes, who was our minister through this transition period. Dr. Robert McClure, the moderator of The United Church of Canada, was guest speaker. The joining of the two congregations was now complete, and the history of Hillcrest had begun.
In 2002, an addition to the church was completed, providing new offices and meeting rooms. An after school program, YODA (Youth Overcoming Depression and Anxiety), sewing and rug hooking groups, Scouts Canada, Girl Guides of Canada, 4H, Local Agricultural Meeting, local AMMA Foundation of Canada, Psalm 100 Music and a Tai Chi Group make regular use of the space.
In 2014 Bethel United was sold and members joined Hillcrest to become a new chapter in the life of Hillcrest United Church.
Today Hillcrest is a busy, active church with lots of activities for all ages to enjoy.